So you’re thinking about getting impact doors for your home, but you’re not sure if they come with screens or not. Well, you’re in luck because we’re here to answer that burning question for you. Impact doors are designed to protect your home from strong winds, hurricanes, and other extreme weather conditions. They are made with reinforced materials that can withstand high impact and keep your home safe. But when it comes to screens, it’s a different story. While some impact doors may come with screens as an optional add-on, not all of them do. It all depends on the manufacturer and the specific model you choose. Now, let’s dive deeper into the world of impact doors and screens to give you a clearer picture of what to expect.
What are Impact Doors?
Impact doors, also known as hurricane or storm doors, are specially designed doors that are built to withstand severe weather conditions, including strong winds and flying debris. These doors are constructed using reinforced materials and are tested to meet specific standards for impact resistance.
Impact doors are built to protect your home from the damaging effects of hurricanes, tropical storms, and other extreme weather events. They are made with multiple layers of strong materials, such as laminated or tempered glass, which is then encased in a durable frame. These doors are designed to withstand the impact of debris, such as tree branches or flying objects, and keep your home safe during a storm.
Benefits of Impact Doors
The use of impact doors in your home provides several benefits, including:
- Enhanced Safety: Impact doors provide an added layer of protection for your home and your family during severe weather. The reinforced materials and special construction techniques used in these doors make them highly resistant to impact, reducing the risk of breakage and potential harm from flying debris.
- Energy Efficiency: Impact doors are also effective in improving the energy efficiency of your home. The strong insulation properties of these doors help keep the interior temperature stable, reducing the need for excessive heating or cooling and lowering your energy bills.
- Noise Reduction: Impact doors are excellent at reducing outside noise, creating a quieter and more peaceful environment inside your home. This is particularly beneficial if you live in a busy area or near a main road where noise pollution can be a problem.
- UV Protection: Impact doors often come with specialized coatings or glazing that helps block harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays. This protects your furniture, flooring, and other belongings from fading or discoloration caused by sun exposure.
Features of Impact Doors
Impact doors come with a range of features that add to their durability, functionality, and overall performance. Here are some notable features of impact doors:
- Reinforced Glass: The glass used in impact doors is highly durable and designed to withstand impact. It is typically made with laminated or tempered glass, which is harder to break and less likely to shatter into sharp pieces.
- Impact-Resistant Frames: The frames of impact doors are constructed using sturdy and durable materials, such as aluminum or reinforced vinyl. These frames are designed to withstand high winds and impact without warping or bending.
- Multiple Locking Systems: To enhance security, impact doors often feature multiple locking points. These can include deadbolts, multi-point locking systems, and reinforced hinges, providing added protection against forced entry.
- Weatherstripping: Impact doors are fitted with weatherstripping to create a tight seal between the door and the frame. This prevents drafts, water leakage, and the intrusion of insects or pests.
What are Screens?
Screens, commonly known as window or door screens, are mesh-like barriers that are installed on the exterior or interior of a door or window opening. Screens are designed to allow fresh air to enter while preventing insects and debris from entering the space. They come in various types and materials, offering different levels of visibility and protection.
Screens are used to cover openings in doors and windows to provide ventilation while keeping out insects and debris. They are typically made of materials such as fiberglass, aluminum, or stainless steel, woven into a mesh pattern. Screens allow air to flow freely while creating a barrier that prevents bugs and other unwanted elements from entering your living space.
Types of Screens
There are several types of screens available, each with its own unique features and benefits. Some of the most common types of screens include:
- Fiberglass Screens: Fiberglass screens are the most popular type of screen due to their affordability and versatility. They are lightweight, resistant to corrosion and discoloration, and offer good visibility and durability.
- Aluminum Screens: Aluminum screens are known for their strength and durability. They are resistant to rust and provide excellent protection against small insects. However, aluminum screens are not as easy to see through compared to other screen materials.
- Stainless Steel Screens: Stainless steel screens offer superior strength and durability compared to other types of screens. They are highly resistant to corrosion, making them ideal for areas with high humidity or salty air. Stainless steel screens also provide excellent protection against small insects.
- Solar Screens: Solar screens are designed to enhance energy efficiency and reduce the amount of heat passing through windows and doors. They have a mesh-like structure that blocks a significant amount of UV rays and reduces glare, while still allowing air circulation.
Benefits of Screens
Screens offer several benefits when installed on doors or windows, including:
- Improved Air Circulation: By allowing fresh air to flow into your home, screens help create a comfortable and refreshing indoor environment. This natural ventilation is particularly useful during mild weather conditions when you want to enjoy a cool breeze without compromising security.
- Insect Protection: Screens act as a barrier against insects, preventing them from entering your living space. This is especially beneficial during warmer months when mosquitoes, flies, and other bugs are more prevalent.
- Debris and Dust Protection: Screens also keep out debris, dust, and leaves, reducing the amount of cleaning and maintenance required for your home’s interior.
- Increased Natural Light: Screens allow natural light to enter your home while still providing a level of privacy. This helps brighten up your living space and creates a welcoming atmosphere.
Do Impact Doors Come with Screens?
When considering impact doors, many homeowners wonder if these doors also come with screens. The answer to that question depends on the specific door manufacturer and the options available for customization.
Exploring the Options
Some impact door manufacturers offer the option to add screens to their door systems, providing an all-in-one solution for storm protection and insect control. These screens are specifically designed to work in conjunction with the impact doors, ensuring a seamless integration and maintaining the structural integrity of the door.
Considerations for Adding Screens
If you are considering adding screens to your impact door, there are a few factors to consider:
- Compatibility: Ensure that the screens you choose are compatible with the specific brand and model of your impact door. This will ensure a proper fit and functionality.
- Design Considerations: Depending on the style and design of your impact door, adding screens may slightly alter the aesthetic appearance. Consider whether the addition of screens aligns with your desired visual appeal.
- Ventilation Needs: Assess your ventilation needs and determine if the addition of screens would hinder or enhance airflow in your living space. Impact doors with built-in screens can offer improved air circulation while still providing protection.
Factors to Consider
When deciding between impact doors with or without screens, there are several factors you should consider to ensure you make the right choice for your home and needs.
Your geographical location plays a significant role in determining the appropriate door and screen combination. If you live in an area prone to severe storms or hurricanes, impact doors are essential for protecting your home. Screens can provide added benefits of insect control and ventilation, but they may be less of a priority in areas with a milder climate.
Purpose of the Door
Consider how you plan to use the door and the specific requirements you have. If the door is primarily for storm protection and security, a solid impact door without screens may be sufficient. However, if ventilation, insect control, and improved air circulation are important to you, then a door with built-in screens may be the better option.
It’s important to consider your budget when deciding between impact doors with or without screens. Impact doors, especially those with integrated screens, can be more expensive than standard doors. Assess your budget and weigh the benefits of screens against the additional cost to determine if it is a worthwhile investment for you.
The visual appeal of your door and the overall aesthetics of your home should also be taken into consideration. Impact doors with screens can alter the look of the door slightly, so ensure that the addition of screens aligns with your desired aesthetic preferences.
Types of Impact Doors with Screens
If you decide to go with impact doors that include screens, there are several types available to choose from. Each type offers its own unique benefits and functionality.
Hinged Impact Doors with Screens
Hinged impact doors with screens function similarly to traditional hinged doors. They swing open and close on hinges, allowing for easy access and providing a wide opening when necessary. The screens are attached to the same frame as the door and can be easily opened or closed independently.
Hinged impact doors with screens are ideal for main entrances or areas where a larger door opening is required. They are available in a variety of styles and designs to suit different aesthetic preferences.
Sliding Impact Doors with Screens
Sliding impact doors with screens operate on a track system, allowing them to smoothly slide open or closed. The screens are typically installed in a separate track or frame alongside the impact door and can be easily opened or closed independently.
Sliding impact doors with screens are a popular choice for patios, balconies, or areas where space is limited. The sliding functionality offers convenience and versatility, allowing for easy access to outdoor areas.
Folding Impact Doors with Screens
Folding impact doors with screens are designed to fold and stack against the side of the opening, creating a large opening and seamless transition between indoor and outdoor spaces. The screens are integrated into the folding system and can be opened or closed simultaneously with the doors.
Folding impact doors with screens are an excellent choice for large openings, such as expansive patios or areas that require unobstructed views. They offer a unique and aesthetically pleasing design while providing the benefits of both impact protection and insect control.
Advantages of Impact Doors with Screens
If you choose to invest in impact doors with screens, you can expect to enjoy several advantages that enhance the functionality and comfort of your home.
Improved Air Ventilation
One of the significant advantages of impact doors with screens is the improved air ventilation they provide. You can enjoy the fresh air and breeze without compromising the security and protection provided by the impact doors. The screens allow air to flow freely, creating a more comfortable and refreshing indoor environment.
Protection against Insects
By combining impact doors with screens, you can effectively keep insects and bugs out of your living space. The screens act as a barrier, preventing unwanted pests from entering your home while still allowing air circulation. This is particularly beneficial during warmer months when insects are more active.
Impact doors with screens offer an added layer of security to your home. While the impact doors provide protection against severe weather and potential break-ins, the screens offer an extra barrier against forced entry. The combination of impact doors and screens enhances the overall security and peace of mind for homeowners.
Disadvantages of Impact Doors with Screens
While impact doors with screens offer many benefits, there are a few disadvantages to consider before making a final decision.
Reduced Impact Resistance
The addition of screens to impact doors may slightly reduce their impact resistance. Although the screens are designed to withstand minor impacts, they may not provide the same level of protection as the solid door itself. This is an important consideration if you live in an area prone to severe storms or hurricanes with high debris impact risks.
Maintenance and Cleaning
The presence of screens adds an extra layer of maintenance and cleaning to your routine. Screens can accumulate dirt, pollen, and other debris over time, requiring regular cleaning to maintain their functionality and visual appeal. Keep in mind that this additional maintenance may be necessary to ensure the screens maintain their effectiveness.
Impact doors with screens generally come at a higher cost compared to impact doors without screens. The added materials, features, and construction required for the screens contribute to the overall price. It is essential to consider your budget and weigh the benefits of screens against the increased cost before making a final decision.
Warranties and Guarantees
When purchasing impact doors with screens, it’s important to consider the warranties and guarantees provided by the manufacturers. These will ensure that you are protected against any unforeseen defects or issues that may arise.
Most reputable impact door manufacturers offer warranties on their products. These warranties cover defects in materials or workmanship and vary in length and coverage. It is advisable to carefully review the warranty terms and conditions to understand what is covered and for how long.
Screen Add-On Warranty
If you opt for impact doors with added screens, inquire about any specific warranties provided for the screens. Some manufacturers may offer separate warranties for the screens, ensuring that they are protected against any defects or functional issues.
Replacing Screens for Impact Doors
Over time, screens may wear out or become damaged, requiring repair or replacement. Here are a few considerations when it comes to replacing screens for impact doors.
Screen Repair or Replacement
If your screens become damaged but are still in relatively good condition, it may be possible to repair them. Small tears or holes can often be fixed using screen repair kits available at hardware stores. However, if the damage is extensive or the screens are showing signs of wear, it may be more cost-effective and efficient to replace them entirely.
Professional Assistance or DIY
Whether you choose to repair or replace your screens, you have the option of hiring a professional or tackling the task yourself. If you are confident in your DIY skills, you can find resources and tutorials online to guide you through the process. However, if you prefer to have the job done quickly and efficiently, hiring a professional screen repair or installation service is a reliable option.
Choosing the right option for your impact doors largely depends on your individual needs and preferences. Impact doors with screens offer a combination of storm protection, increased ventilation, and insect control. They can enhance the functionality and overall comfort of your home while maintaining high security standards.
Consider factors such as climate, the purpose of the door, budget, and aesthetics when deciding between impact doors with or without screens. Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of each option, and weigh them against your specific requirements.
Ultimately, selecting the right combination of impact doors and screens will enhance the functionality and overall appearance of your home, providing a safe and comfortable environment year-round.